Friday, October 3, 2008

White Bread

When Aaron and I were married I found this recipe card, just like this in the one cookbook that he had, "Better Homes and Gardens." When Aaron was in college he earned an internship with Intel out in California and his mother would send him several recipes. I don't really know if he made this one or not, but because of the history it is special to me and I make it every time I make my chicken soup.

Courtesy of Mary Jo Greenwood

Bake in a preheated 350 degrees for 30 minutes or looks brown on top. Makes 1 loaf.

2 teaspoons yeast (active dry) or 1 packet, dissolve in 1/4 cup warm water
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

Dissolve yeast in warm water(not hot or it will kill the yeast). Add a little of the sugar and let sit for 15 minutes to see if your yeast is active. If it doesn't bubble up it won't raise your bread. This step(waiting) is not necessary if you're sure your yeast is active. Add to remaining water. Add 1 cup flour, stir, add sugar, salt, oil, stir, add rest of flour. Place on floured board or table and knead at least 3 minutes, up to 20. (I did it less than 5) Place in greased bowl, cover with towel. Raise. (1 hour or double in bulk) Punch down, put in to loaves or rolls in greased pan. Rise until doubled again then bake. (I usually do the second rising with the loaves setting on my oven top while my oven is preheating...it goes quicker.

No comments: