Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Feta Burgers with Grilled Red Onions

Oh, my goodness. Last night I decided to use up a little extra feta and make feta hamburgers. These were absolutely heavenly. So easy. They were meant to be cooked on a grill, but as I was "home alone" I decided to just do the whole of it on my stove top which did take a bit more doing, but it was soooo worth it. Nummy. I highly recommend these the next time you make burgers.

Found at epicurious.com but I did tailor the recipe to fit our needs.

1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (I used chuck and it seemed just fine, although I had to make certain to chill it before cooking)
2 teaspoons oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (I always use Kosher salt and just did a healthy sprinkling)
1/2 teaspoons of pepper
1-1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder ( I put garlic powder in the meat mix because I didn't have cloves of garlic to make the garlic oil for the buns)
Cooking Spray
Large Red Onion-cut in large slices-like onion ring slices
Large Tomato
Buns
1/2 cup Olive Oil with about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder stirred together to coat the cut side of your buns before toasting them and your onions before grilling them

Break up beef in large bowl. Sprinkle feta, oregano, salt, and pepper over; toss. Divide into portions; form each into a patty, pressing in center to form slight indentation. The above recipe made 6 good sized hamburgers. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.

Prepare your buns with the garlic oil. Using your pastry brush coat the cut side of your buns.

Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush onion with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place burgers and onions on grill. Cover; cook 5 minutes. Turn; cook until onions are charred in spots and burgers are medium-well, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to plate. Brush cut sides of buns with garlic oil. Place buns, cut side down, on grill; toast about 1 minute. Turn; cook until heated, about 1 minute.Place burgers on bun bottoms. Top each with onion, tomato, and bun top.

No comments: